Home

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Unidentified Blobs and Sea Gull Guano

My trip to Morro Bay, California

First of all, isn't this photo collage too cool for words? Go here and play.

Self portrait of me with "The Rock" from the top of Black Hill (eek, a volcanic peak rising 664') 664' of hiking, sweat, drugs and rock and roll, without the drugs and roll. There were
a lot of rocks!

I took 374 photos, a record for me. You'd be bored looking at 374 photos, right? Okay, so I won't post them all here. Just highlights : .)

View from the top of Black Hill.

Morro Rock from the Embarcadero (Bay side).

View from my hotel room. Not exactly...okay not at all the view advertised on the hotel's website, but I didn't spend much time in my room anyway, so there!!!

I know what you're thinking, "Just how many photos can you take of a rock?" Well, a lot. It changes, seriously. Sometimes it even sneaks up on you and looms over your shoulder. It changes moods. It changes colors. Its amazing!!!

Fah-resh oysters on the half shell, home made clam chowder, boy, oh boy, oh boy!!!
I had crab legs with drawn butter too, but didn't take a picture of that. Oh, and I had a fantastic glass of 2005 Talbotts Kali Hart Chard. Oh yum!

These guys were actually fighting. The sea lions (Zalophus californianus californianus, I had to look that one up. Note the external ear flaps? Seals don't have these, that's how you tell the difference.) were very territorial and if another tried to usurp its spot...WATCH OUT! Lots of barkin' and bitin' goin' on!

No commentary necessary. Taken at the beach on the ocean side of the rock.

Swell shark case. (Cephaloscyllium ventriosum. The embryo lives here until its ready to hatch.) Foot for size comparison.

One of six (?) local sea otters (Enhydris lutris), so cute! They spend a lot of time grooming their 1000 hairs per square inch, I believe the most of any mammal. They need to use air as insulation since they don't have much body fat. They also eat a lot and roll over and over in the water to wrap themselves with kelp so they don't drift off. They hang in groups, hence the term "otter rafts."

Long-Billed Curlew (Numenius americanus). Long beak makes it easier to dig up sand crabs (Emerita).

Sweet escape!

Unidentified blob. (Some kind of jellyfish)

Other highlights...Hanging with the docents at the Natural History Museum. Bob gave me a rattle he made out of Pismo clam shells with BBs inside. Friendly people and dogs. Lots of shopping (tourista style). Feeding rescued harbor seals and sea lions at the aquarium. Chatting it up with the locals...Susan at the bead shop, Mary at the state campground, Randylee and her husband who work at a local gallery. Just enjoying the sun, ocean breezes, salty sea air scents, sea lion barking and various sea birds communicating about their day.

I was sad when the trip was over, but planning another in the near future to see the migrating Monarch butterflies : .)

1 comment:

Ragged Around the Edges said...

What a wonderful trip. And could it get any better than crab legs with drawn butter. I am salivating as I type this. . . . . .

Beautiful photographs, no wonder you took so many.