Home

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Drawing Mid-Term & Final

One of my friends mentioned to me that they had checked my blog to see if I posted projects from my drawing class. I appreciated the reminder : .)

The mid-term project was to collage an emotion. If your guess is jubilant, then you're right!

To create the piece, I used two photos I took of my friend's daughter during the annual family X-mas card photo shoot, as well as some magazine photos. I drew the image in pencil and used water color paints and markers to color in the image.

The final project was to do a self-portrait and then create a mask that is our alternate personality, fantasy, other persona. The drawing above is the self-portrait from the first class meeting, below is the self-portrait for the final project. I used pencil here also. I think I've improved my technique, altho' my eyes are way bigger than I realized : .)


Girl G, my girlfriend that's a goalie, was the inspiration for my mask. Unafraid to face pucks flying at her at 70 miles per hour (well, if its Calvin shooting), she exhibits a bravery that I can only wish to have. The goalie mask offers protection, but also communicates an air of toughness. The mask was drawn and colored using sharpie markers.


I received a gift of a sketch book from my bloggy pal Willie, so I need to continue practicing and creating. Next class...Design. I'm excited!

4 comments:

Ragged Around the Edges said...

I have said it a million times: you are so talented. Sounds like the class really brought out your drawing abilities. Very great. Love the mask!

Anonymous said...

Way cool stuff. I can really see your drawing technique progress from "before" and "after" classes. The different techniques result in a softness in the second picture that looks more lifelike. Beautifully done, and the mask is SO you. The large eyes are a nice touch considering the eyes are the window to the soul.
And the jubilant collage is joy all over the place - certainly fitting the subject matter, but also both a perfect expression of the season - and of the joy in your heart. Wonderful.

Nan said...

I am so envious of these classes you are taking. You are doing great!

Willie Baronet said...

Sweetness. And I even get props for the sketchbook! :-) You better keep drawing, or I'm going to pull this car over. ;-)