Home

Saturday, October 14, 2006

She runs.


There are voices in my head, with names like fear and doubt,

and they hide, mocking me.

But when the pounding of my heart becomes deafening,

They all just disappear.
- From a Nike Ad

I felt like getting out for a run this morning.
My retirement didn't last very long : .) I set off for Rancho San Antonio Park, the home of my favorite Bay Area trail run by far.

I had forgotten how great it is to run solo. No worries about slowing anyone down, the ability to set your own pace and think your own thoughts. No schedule to meet, no need to maintain a breathless conversation while trying hard to keep up.

My warm-up typically takes about 4 miles, so I started out slow and just took it easy. The portion of the trail closest to the parking lot is quite populated even at this early hour, and I was hoping to leave the groups of chattering hikers behind as soon as possible.

The trail starts out pretty flat with some rolling hills, along the way, I passed a quail family that scattered like pachinko balls as I ran by, and three deer who were enjoying their breakfast. After a couple of miles, I started up the biggest hill, a one mile stretch with about a 1000 foot rise. In a few minutes, I came around a bend in the trail and could see the Silicon Valley spread out below me, NASA and the bay off to the northeast and downtown San Jose to the south.
It didn't take me much longer to crest the hill and I took a quick break to catch my breath and drink some water. I was so very proud that I ran the entire way up the hill. I started back down the trail, the glorious downhill that leads to the valley. As I hit the cover of the trees, I heard a rustling in the leaves and stopped to listen...But all I could hear was silence. So amazing. Silence, loamy earth, and the scent of bay leaves.

Around another bend I saw a group of Asian ladies practicing meditation. I consider myself lucky to live in an area with such diversity. On the trail, I passed Japanese, Chinese, East Indian, Middle Eastern, European, and American hikers and runners, big and small, all ages.

I especially love trail running because you have to pay attention to your footing, the uneven surfaces force you to use your core to maintain your balance. Boy was I surprised when WHAM!!! Ow, ow, ow! I twisted my ankle. Within a few tentative steps, I decided I could finish my run, but I was worried about an injury since my runing buddies and I signed up to run the California International Marathon 4 person relay in December.

I think I'm okay : .)

Photo courtesy of MadRetz

1 comment:

madretz said...

Sorry to hear about your ankle, but so glad you had a great solo run.