Home

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Mini Mini Tri

This morning I was going to sleep in, but after the alarm went off at 6 am, I was unable to bag any more zzz's, so I got up and went to the gym.

Did spin class for 42 minutes, ran on the treadmill for 10 minutes (a mile) and then I picked up Bill, and met Mike and LeAnne in Santa Cruz for my first ocean swim since the mid-eighties. Yes, I've lived in California most of my life, but after moving from So. Cal, I haven't been to the beach very often.

To acclimate ourselves to the water, we slowly swam out about 120 yards
to that tiny white dot to the left of the pier (the one on the left side of the photo, straight out from the left edge of the multi-floored building on the shore), splashed around a bit, swam back to shore to take a break. We repeated the jaunt a second time, and I got out of the water feeling much more comfortable about the half mile swim that is part of the tri in August.

Things to remember about swimming in the ocean:

1) 59 degrees isn't *that* cold. burrrr...
2) You are *very* bouyant wearing a wetsuit and swimming in salt water.
3) There is nothing to fear from Seaweed. Even if it is slimy, it tastes good!
4) Your equlibrium is challenged upon exiting the water, so expect to crabwalk up the beach.
5) Salt water does not hydrate you.
6) There are probably a bazillion ocean creatures swimming beneath you (don't panic!), but make sure you swim with a buddy to feed to the Great White Shark looking for a little brunch so you can get back to shore ; .)

Photo courtesy of the
Stagnaro Brothers

2 comments:

Ragged Around the Edges said...

You continue to impress me.

Nan said...

Another good reason to swim with a buddy!