Home

Sunday, June 18, 2006

bad painting (neo-expressionism)


Today while I should have been packing for my trip to Chicago I was procrastinating. I watched the movie Basquiat and was inspired by his life and his art. Basquiat gained fame with his graffiti art, then in neo-expressionism. At one point, he became friends with and collaborated with Andy Warhol. Tragically, he died in 1988 of a heroin overdose at the age of 27.

Street to Studio, The Art of Jean-Michel Basquiat is a website for kids, but its cool and interactive, and includes a bio of Basquiat, as well as examples of his art and descriptions of his artistic process.

3 comments:

madretz said...

I love this Phin!! Especially your inspiration from Basquiat. That website is awesome, i'll have to check it out more when I get home.

MadMonk said...

Really Striking - I like the color combination especially. The quote is great; Did you mean for the title
"bad painting (neo-expressionism)"
to contradict the words?

Nan said...

I have a children's book by Maya Angelou with paintings that are remarkably similar to this style. Now I'm gonna have to go downstairs to the belly of the beast to find it to see who did the illustrations.

I LIKE your painting, so I hope that was the title and not the way you feel about it, too.