Home

Monday, May 29, 2006

A Mini Break



A favorite way to spend a long weekend, getting in a bunch of exercise.

On Saturday I did the usual long run with the ladies. I finished 8 miles at a 9:45 minute/mile pace. [pat, pat] I haven't run faster than a 10 or 11 minute pace so far this year, I'm quite proud of myself.

Sunday I took step class taught by my girlfriend. Her routine is choreographically, as well as physically challenging and she's known to play good tunes. Gotta love movement and music!

Today was a gorgeously sunny day and with the wind rushing by my ears, I took Monchichi out for her first ride. No more will she sit patiently in the corner of the living room, there's no turning back now, she's had a taste of the road.

Its a different experience, riding...Being on a a pedal driven, human-powered vehicle, I'm expending a bit less effort than running. More time to contemplate the scenery and listen and hear what's going on around me. A few chuckles from the road...

The little boy on a walk with his brother and parents said, " I don't want to get out of the way of the bicycles" (Little sassy pants!), the man reading while he was jogging (All that bouncing would make me nauseous) and the dog trotting after his owner, carrying his leash in his mouth (Way to take yourself for a walk, Puppy!), last of all, the happy guy, pacing behind me, greeting absolutely EVERYONE on the trail. (Okay, it must be the endorphins, no one is that perky that early in the morning!!!)

A suggestion for multi-use trail compadres...Lets share the trail! Peds, we know you have the right-of-way. We are willing to ride around you. Help the riders out. Please pay attention!!! You're not the only person on the trail. Don't hoard the entire trail. Don't stop in the middle of the road. If you want to look at the squirrels and the birds, please step off to the side. Also, look both ways before you step back on the trail. Its a lot easier for you to stop and start than a bicycle rider. I think we can all get along and enjoy the trail with a little effort.

The area beneath my sit bones and my calves are sore (I did wear padded biking shorts), AND my nose ran, A LOT!!! Overall it was such a good time.

(Today wasn't just a day off either...It was a day for honoring the Soldiers who have fought and died for our country. Thank you for your bravery and courage, and making the supreme sacrifice in protecting our freedom. You have a special place in all of our hearts.)

4 comments:

Ragged Around the Edges said...

You inspire me. I only wish I had that kinda energy.

madretz said...

Bravo girlfriend!! 9:45 mile!! Sweet!

That's so cool that you get a totally different perspective as a rider on the trail. I wouldn't have thought it would be that different.

Nan said...

I love the tribute to our soldiers, and I second it.

I'm going to be thinking of you when I start my new lifestyle change. No, not biking...just some extra walking...but when you're not used to it, it seems so hard to do.

Nan said...

Phin, Thanks for the motivating feedback! I've been looking on the internet to see how to start exercising after my heart cath but so far haven't found much. The doctors gave me a booklet that was kind of vague as far as exercise. I'll have exercise buddies on the days I keep the grands so I may take them to a walking track or even the field in the back of their house. (I'm kind of scared of copperheads and don't know what to do if and when we see one. My Hub has already killed one small one in their side yard...so I figure there's got to be more. That, and stepping in a groundhog hole, are the only two things I'm worried about.)

I AM DETERMINED TO GIVE IT MY BEST SHOT!!!